Cardiff City Women 4-0 Port Talbot Town

Profile picture of Lewis Sharpe
Lewis Sharpe November 23, 2020

Author: Lewis Sharpe

Publisher: Y Clwb Pel-Droed

Cardiff City strengthened their grip on top spot in their Welsh Premier Women’s League Cup group with an emphatic 4-0 win over Port Talbot Town.

A resounding first half performance gave City the victory at Leckwith Stadium as they played free-flowing football.

Goals from Zoe Atkins, Phoebie Poole and Danielle Broadhurst helped them bounce back from last week’s 5-0 loss to Cardiff Met.

City’s Danielle Green had the first attempt when her shot from the left-hand side went narrowly wide of the near post.

The home side opened the scoring minutes later when captain Siobhan Walsh’s free-kick from range bounced off the crossbar and Zoe Atkins was first to react as she tapped into an empty net.

Mikayla Cook came close to increasing the advantage when her quick feet allowed her to make space in the box. Her shot was saved magnificently by Victoria Beddows.

The lead was doubled in the 15th minute when striker Phoebie Poole rounded the goalkeeper before finishing with composure.

Jessica Denscombe almost brought one back for the visitors two minutes later but her venomous effort from the edge of the box flew inches over the crossbar.

Despite being two goals down, the visitors then grew into the game as increased passing intensity allowed them to hold onto the ball more regularly.

At the heart of the resurgence was captain Chelsey Harris whose leadership and composure on the ball helped the Town settle down.

Midfielder Danielle Broadhurst extended the lead when she guided an ambitious effort from range into the top right corner.

Denscombe had another opportunity towards the end of the first half when the ball fell kindly to her on the edge of the box. Similarly to her first, she struggled to get over the ball as it edged over the upright.

Courteney Thomas tested Ceryn Chamberlain in the 43rd minute with a strike from 35 yards out but the goalkeeper reacted well and saved.

The first chance of the second half fell to Port Talbot’s Laura Walkley whose deflected shot went over the crossbar.

Zoe Atkins had a lofted attempt beat Beddows but Harris recovered and cleared off the goal line.

City midfielder Catherine Walsh pulled the strings throughout. Her ball control and passing ability massively benefitted the hosts.

Bluebird defender Cerys Pritchard heroically recovered to slide tackle and prevent Walkley finding her way into the box when the away side counter-attacked.

The lead was almost extended further just after the hour mark when Walsh took aim from the edge of the box. The attempt, however, was off target.

Poole netted her fifth goal of the competition in the 73rd minute as she doubled her afternoon tally with a lofted attempt.

The hosts took the sting out of the game late on to secure their place in the hat for the next round.

Cardiff City: Ceryn Chamberlain, Lisa Owen, Siobhan Walsh ©, Danielle Broadhurst (Sophie Norman 68’), Danielle Green, Ellie Jones, Phoebie Poole, Catherine Walsh, Zoe Atkins (Brooke Evans 78’), Cerys Pritchard, Mikayla Cook (Ffion Price 60’)

Goals: Zoe Atkins (4’), Phoebie Poole (15’, 73’), Danielle Broadhurst (32’)

Port Talbot Town: Victoria Beddows, Carys Davies, Laura Walkley, Jesci Hare, Chelsey Harris (C), Terri Beddows, Courteney Thomas, Jessica Hammett (Rachael Ball 38’), Lauren Amor, Jessica Denscombe (Coryn Sexton 50’), Maisie Miller