Cardiff Metropolitan 0-1 The New Saints: own-goal gives TNS the victory in Cardiff

Profile picture of Lewis Sharpe
Lewis Sharpe November 22, 2020
  • Posts
  • Y Clwb Pel Droed
  • Cardiff Metropolitan 0-1 The New Saints: own-goal gives TNS the victory in Cardiff

Author: Lewis Sharpe

Publisher: Y Clwb Pel-Droed 

A Liam Black own-goal continued The New Saints’ unbeaten league start as they pick up all three points from the capital

The narrow affair was competitive throughout, with both sides defending superbly.

The loss means Cardiff Met edge closer to the relegation zone following Flint Town United’s win at Haverfodwest.

The Students came agonisingly close in the 2nd minute when veteran Eliot Evans’ shot from range found the woodwork.

Louis Robles had a left-footed effort go wide minutes later.

The Saints’ early possession didn’t result into chances as Met, well-structured, defended somewhat on a low block.

Adrian Cieslewicz showcased his skill when he beat Rhydian Morgan before his over-hit cross went out for a throw-in on the opposite side.

Simon Spender’s cross found Dean Ebbe just outside the six-yard box but his header, lacking power, was collected at ease by Alex Lang.

Alex McCarthy had an ambitious attempt from range go narrowly wide around the 20-minute mark.

Evans had a similar attempt to his first in the 24th minute. He cut in from the left before his curled effort was saved by Paul Harrison.

The New Saints then attacked the other end which lead to Robles having his second attempt of the game. Lang got down quickly to save at his near post.

Met’s approach was to utilise Liam Warman’s pace on the break.

A quiet end to the first half saw neither side being able to break the deadlock before half-time.

Evans had the first chance of the second half when his left-footed effort from inside the box was deflected narrowly wide of the post.

TNS broke the deadlock ten minutes after half-time when a Leo Smith corner from the left-hand side was converted in a goal-mouth scramble as Liam Black put the ball into his own net.

Leo Smith came close to doubling the lead when his goal-bound free-kick was dramatically tipped onto the crossbar by Lang.

The goalkeeper was forced into another save one minute later when Cieslewicz’s outside of the foot shot from the edge of the box was on target.

Smith’s quick feet saw him beat three midfielders before firing over the crossbar in the 66th minute.

Evans challenged Harrison with another long-range attempt, but the shot was straight at the goalkeeper.

The Saints’ attacking bombardment continued as they looked to extend their lead further.

Blaine Hudson almost got the away side’s second when he won a header at the back post which went narrowly wide.

Ollie Hulbert had a shot blocked in the box with ten minutes to go as the Archers threw bodies forward in the hope of grabbing an equaliser.

The drama continued as Met had a penalty shout with seven minutes left on the clock when Hulbert’s acrobatic attempt seemed to strike Hudson’s arm. The referee, however, decided it didn’t warrant a spot-kick.

Despite late pressure from the hosts, they were unable to find what it took to bring the game level as the game ended 1-0 to the visitors.

Cardiff Metropolitan: Alex Lang, Dylan Rees, Kyle McCarthy, Eliot Evans, Charlie Corsby, Ollie Hulbert, Joe Evans, Jac Davies (Matt Chubb 86’), Rhydian Morgan, Liam Warman (Harry Owen 65’), Liam Black.

Yellow Cards: Liam Black (45’), Joe Evans (75’), Charlie Corsby (78’)

The New Saints: Paul Harrison, Simon Spender, Jon Routledge, Dean Ebbe (Greg Draper 76’), Danny Redmond, Adrian Cieslewicz (Jamie Mullan 80’), Blaine Hudson, Ryan Astles, Louis Robles, Leo Smith, Tom Holland (Ben Clark 82’).

Goals: Liam Black (o.g 55’)

Yellow Cards: Blaine Hudson (90+2)