Cyncoed Ladies 1-1 Port Talbot Town: Witts’ second-half strike earns point for Mighty Oaks

Profile picture of Dafydd Jones
Dafydd Jones November 30, 2020
  • Posts
  • Wales Football Fans
  • Cyncoed Ladies 1-1 Port Talbot Town: Witts’ second-half strike earns point for Mighty Oaks

Author: Dafydd Jones

Publisher: Y Clwb Pêl Droed

Alison Witts’ second-half goal secured a point for Cyncoed Ladies, after a 1-1 draw with Port Talbot Town at the USW Sports Park.

The visitors had led through Jesci Hare’s first-half header, only to be denied the three points in the last 20 minutes.

Despite leading for most of the contest, the draw ends Port Talbot Town’s run of three straight defeats, as they pick up their first points since the opening day victory over Aberystwyth Town.

Cyncoed Ladies record their first draw of the campaign, taking them to seven points from their opening five games.

The first chance fell to the Mighty Oaks, as Millie Jones found space on the left to force a save out of Victoria Beddows in the Port Talbot goal.

Cyncoed Ladies striker Alison Witts was then played through on the left, only for her tame effort to be collected by Beddows.

Port Talbot Town punished Josh Richards’ side for not taking early chances, taking the lead in the 19th minute.

Lauren Amor’s free-kick delivery was met powerfully by Jesci Hare, who headed home the opener.

The Blues could have added to their lead just minutes later, as former Wales international Laura-may Walkley’s chip over Maisie Jones flew narrowly over the bar.

Port Talbot Town’s Nia Probert tried her luck from distance, as the visitors had a spell of pressure, but her superb effort was tipped onto the bar by Jones.

Striker Walkley was again involved in another chance for the visitors, finding space in the box, only to fire straight at Jones.

After weathering the storm, Cyncoed had a chance to equalise through Witts, who beat the offside trap on the right hand side.

The striker’s eventual shot was well-saved by Beddows, who ensured that Port Talbot Town went into the break with the lead.

Hayley Williams’ side could have doubled their lead early in the second-half, when Laura-may Walkley beat the offside trap, only to be beaten to the ball by Jones.

In a second-half of few chances, Port Talbot Town were reduced to efforts from distance, as Maisie Miller cut inside and fired just over from outside the box.

A moment of quality came in the 73rd minute however, as Cyncoed Ladies found an equaliser.

Striker Alison Witts was played through and rounded Beddows in the Port Talbot Town goal to slot home her third of the campaign.

The visitors came close to an instant reply, as Walkley cut inside from the left and forced a save out of Jones.

Josh Richards’ side had a huge opportunity to win it in the dying minutes, as Witts’ weaving run saw her through on goal, only to fire narrowly wide.

Another chance fell in a dramatic finish, with Maisie Miller firing over, having been found by substitute Jessica Denscombe.

Cyncoed Ladies’ next game is another showdown with Port Talbot Town in a fortnight, this time in the Welsh Premier Women’s League cup, while the Blues have face Cardiff City next week.

Cyncoed Ladies: Maisie Jones, Grace Morris, Jessica Osborne, Millie Jones, Clare Daley, Ellie Gunney (Monet Legall 45), Seren Watkins, Rhianne Oakley, Caitlin Bevan, Megan Saunders, Alison Witts

Goals: Alison Witts 73’

Port Talbot Town: Victoria Beddows, Carys Davies, Laura-may Walkley, Jesci Hare, Chelsey Harris, Terri Beddows, Coryn Sexton (Jessica Curran 53), Rachael Ball, Lauren Amor (Jessica Denscombe 53), Nia Probert, Maisie Miller

Goals: Jesci Hare 19’

(Featured Image: Dafydd Jones)