Penybont 0-0 Connah’s Quay Nomads: competitive affair in a goalless draw

Profile picture of Lewis Sharpe
Lewis Sharpe March 14, 2021

Publisher: Y Clwb Pel-Droed

Author: Lewis Sharpe

First-placed Connah’s Quay Nomads were unable to get the better of hard-working Penybont in a competitive affair.

The point means Penybont fall to fifth place due to Barry Town’s 1-0 victory to Aberystwyth Town this afternoon, although Bont have a game in hand and host the Linnets next week.

The draw at the SDM Glass Stadium ended the Nomads’ nine-game winning streak but TNS were unable to pounce after a 2-1 defeat to Haverfordwest County which kept the champions top.

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts, as Lewis Harling found space on the left-hand side and picked out Ben Ahmun in the box. Ahmun’s volleyed attempt flew over the bar.

The strong wind was prominent from early on, with both sides struggling to hold the ball up.

Nomads wing-back Danny Davies had an attempt blocked in the box by Matthew Harris in the 20th minute.

Michael Wilde came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock around the half-hour mark, but his header – destined for goal – was denied by a superb save by Ashley Morris.

Penybont winger Lewis Clutton was unlucky when he was played through by Harling, but he tripped when attempting to shoot.

Clutton came close again just before half-time. After being played in on goal by Ahmun, his left-footed strike flew over the crossbar.

The visitors struggled with the conditions in the first half, with passes often being over-hit in the wind.

Despite pressure late in the half, Connah’s Quay were unable to capitalise and the first-half ended goalless.

Nomads had a penalty claim early in the second half after a collision between Wilde and Billy Borge. The referee awarded a free-kick to the hosts.

A triple substitution from Penybont allowed the side to press higher up the pitch, with increased urgency putting Connah’s Quay under pressure.

Mael Davies had a shot from range on the hour mark, but Oliver Byrne saved with ease.

Full-back Connor Davies supplied Penybont with width from the right, often finding space and crossing from the wing.

Captain George Horan had an opportunity to take the lead in the last quarter of the match as he found space in the box before firing wide of the near post.

Substitutes Kane Owen and Ismail Yakubu linked up to create a chance in the last ten minutes. The former’s corner found the latter at the back-post, but the defender’s header bounced wide.

Penybont striker Sam Snaith was unfortunate when a deflected pass almost found him free in the box late on, but he was unable to control the ball.

Horan came close again late on, but his headed attempt bounced off the crossbar and Morris was able to save the rebound.

Owen tested Byrne with a cross in the 88th minute, but the goalkeeper was able to gather the ball.


Ashley Morris, Dan Jefferies, Mael Davies, Lewis Harling, Ben Ahmun (Kostya Georgievsky 53’), Oliver Dalton, Sam Sniath, Billy Borge, Lewis Clutton (Kane Owen 53’), Matthew Harris (Nathan Wood 53’), Connor Davies (Ismail Yakubu 67’).

Yellow card-

Dan Jefferies (54’)

Connah’s Quay Nomads

Oliver Byrne, John Disney, John Hunt, George Horan, Daniel Harrison (Neil Danns), Callum Morris, Michael Wilde, Declan Poole, Daniel Holmes, Craig Curran (Sameron Singh-Dool) 66’), Danny Davies (Aron Williams 45’).

Yellow card-

Craig Curran (42’)